There’s nothing wrong with complaining once in a while, so let’s complain about what ruins otherwise good messy scenes for us. The usual rule about being respectful applies, of course. Anyway, here are my instant turn-offs.
- Protective clothing – headgear and waterproofs, specifically. What’s the point of messing someone up when it’s not going to make contact with the gungee’s hair/skin/clothes?
- Bad delivery. There’s very little that’s more irritating than only one litre of a 10l bucket splattering the intended target. Even GYOB isn’t exempt here – looking at you, Frances!
- An incomplete messing. I’m probably a bit more tolerant of this one than most, but I like a good transition from clean to messy. I like to see my gungees clean, getting messed, then post-messing. Nichola Stapleton on NHP’s a classic example of this. We see her before she gets gunged, then while she’s getting gunged and that’s it. Other ways this can fail include shoddy camera work or editing.
- Hosiery. I just don’t care much for messy socks/tights/stockings.
- An unattractive gungee. It’s probably a horrible thing to say, I get that, but I’d feel dishonest if I didn’t say it.
There’s probably a few things people might have expected on here too, but aren’t. Here’s why I omitted them.
- Goggles and glasses. I know these technically fit in the “protective clothing” category, but I really don’t mind the smaller swimming-type goggles. I wouldn’t use them in a scene of my own design, though. Glasses can actually be a great part of a trashing in my opinion. There’s something a bit enticing about a helpless gungee, and losing the ability to see properly adds to that. Larger goggles are a no-no for me though.
- Shoes. It’s no secret that I have a foot fetish and that I greatly prefer a barefoot gungee, but shoes aren’t an instant turn-off. After all, if they’re not open-toed then you can fill them. If they are, then they aren’t exactly effective at offering protection from the mess.
- A male presence. This is probably the most controversial and hardest to really define. Basically, I don’t have a problem with there being a man or men in a messy scene so long as the woman/women get at least half of the mess, or as long as the focus is on the female(s). I’ll elaborate. A man gunging a woman is great. A man and woman getting gunged together is okay so long as it’s follows those rules I mentioned before. A man getting gunged followed by a woman getting gunged (or vice-versa) is fine too. That’s what fast forwarding is for – so you can skip over bits of a video you don’t want to see. I’ll go into more detail on this one (or any, but especially this one) if asked but for now, that’s all I can think of on this one.
I’m curious to see who agrees and disagrees with my list, if anyone. I’d also love to see other people’s lists.